This week end we had a special Stake Conference, it was wonderful! It was so nice to sit at the feet of a prophet of God and listen to his words of counsel and to feel of his spirit. The highlight of the conference happened this morning when President Nelson asked all of the primary children to stand. He couldn't see them so he asked them to stand on their Dad's laps or their chairs. He still couldn't see then so he asked them to shake their hands above their heads - what a sight! Then he asked them to sing "I Am a Child of God." Not a dry eye here!
What a spiritual feast! Both Friday night and this morning he spoke on teaching our children.
Friday night he spoke of our lineage in our patriarchal blessings and our responsibility because of that lineage.
He asked us to teach our children who they really are and gave us the following scriptures as guidelines:
3 Nephi 20:24-26
1 Nephi 15:18
This morning he continued counseling us on what to teach our children.
He said to teach them:
- What it really means when they sing I Am a Child of God.
- How to pray morning and night
- About Christ and what He did for us
- To commemorate the atonement while partaking the sacrament
- To understand that this is Christ's church, not President Monson's, or Brigham Young's or Joseph Smiths
- About the Prophet Joseph Smith and what he was able to accomplish
- To read the scriptures, the REAL scriptures - Have them memorize their dad's voices reading the scriptures to them
- That the Book of Mormon helps us understand the Bible
- What a miracle the priesthood is
- About the temple
- To qualify for missionary service
- Blessing of paying tithing
- Importance of getting an education
- To be good citizens
He then left his blessing upon us.
I am so thankful that I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the knowledge I have of the plan of salvation and for opportunities like this to sit at the feet of a prophet of God and to have my purpose here on this earth reinforced and to know that I am heading in the right direction.