Sunday, October 28, 2007

Saying Goodbye


Sometimes in the natural course of events we find ourselves saying goodbye far before we are ready. Such was the case this week when my parents had to say goodbye to a beloved apple tree. This was not an ordinary apple tree. It was a golden delicious that was planted when their first grandchild, a golden boy, was born.
For 38 years Dad nurtured, pruned, sprayed, loved and cared for this tree while Mom made countless (literally) quarts of applesauce and apple pie filling. We kids even got in on the fun by buying lawn ornaments and bird feeders that found their way in, under, and around this beloved tree.
There have been countless numbers of people who have been fed from the fruit of this tree as Mom baked endless pies to give away. I was blessed to be among those who were fed from the fruit of this tree. For years all I wanted for Christmas from my parents was "Mom's Apple Pie Filling". But my blessing went beyond getting Mom's apple pie filling each Christmas, a couple of years ago I had the privilege of being taught at the side of my Mother how to make her apple pie filling.
So, on Friday, October 25, our family all said a sad goodbye to a very beloved tree. And even though this tree will leave a hole in our hearts, as most things we love and lose do, it will still warm our memories. And for me as I make my Mom's apple pie filling each year, even though I won't be using apples from their beloved tree, I will still be carrying on a tradition that started 38 years ago when a golden delicious tree was planted for a golden grandson.

No comments: