Monday, July 13, 2009

What's in a Name?

I have made it a policy to not put people on pedestals for several reasons. For one, there is only room for one person on top; and two, it is so easy to fall off. But I do, however, admire people for the good things they do and the good people they are. One of these people I highly admired I knew over 20 years ago. We had just made the move to Portland and this man was in our Stake Presidency. President Tolliver was a quiet man with a giant spirit about him. He was always so kind and compassionate. He was the kind of man you wished you could spend more time with so his goodness would rub off on you. We eventually moved but would still run into him and his sweet wife, Coral, in the temple periodically. When we moved we happened to move into the same ward as President Tolliver's daughter. A couple of years ago President Tolliver passed away and his daughter brought me a copyof his Funeral Service program. I was touched that she would think to do that for me. I read it and slipped it in a drawer in my living room. A few months ago I ran across that program and took the time to remember warm memories of this quiet man. As I was thus reminiscing, I made a wonderful discovery! I had only known him as "President" Tolliver. But as I was reading the program I discovered his first name - Wesley! My heart jumped with joy as I made this discovery. My precious little grandson shares a name with this most humble of spiritual giants! So to my dear little Wesley, you share a name not only with your great-grandfather who you are named after, you share a name with some one I admired quiet a lot in his life time. Yay for WESLEY!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it is a pretty good name! (for a very good boy)